Make simple vegan udon with shiitake-kombu broth, colorful vegetables and chewy noodles. Gluten-free option, oil-free and plant-based.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 post-it note sized piece of kombu/kelp (roughly 2″x2″)
- 3–4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large asian leek stem, halved (use the white part at the bottom of the leek)
- 1 1/2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- pinch sugar (to taste)
- 1 package frozen udon noodles (or use a gluten free noodle option)
- sliced carrot
- sliced lotus root
- shimeji mushrooms
- scallions, thinly sliced
- Soak kombu and shiitake mushrooms in water overnight (for maximum flavour) or at least half an hour. Remove mushrooms and transfer liquids into a pot and add your leek and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer for 5 minutes and remove kelp. Add gluten free soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Quickly blanch mushrooms, lotus root and any other additional toppings in boiling water. Alternatively, you can season and sauté!
Cook udon noodles
- Prepare noodles according to package directions. If using from refrigerate or frozen, boil water and cook for 2-3 minutes to defrost. Do not overcook as the noodles will break! 😊
- Add broth to a bowl along with cooked noodles. Arrange toppings, garnish with sliced scallions and togarashi if desired.
Keywords: Simple Vegan Udon Soup