This vegan cucumber tempeh sandwich is a pretty, high-protein and easy to make lunch with smoky, crispy tempeh, cream cheese and avocado.
- 2 slices bread (gluten free), toasted
- 1 mini cucumber
- 3–4 oz tempeh, sliced
- 1–2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- vegan cream cheese or soft cheese of choice
- alfafa sprouts
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare your cucumbers
- Using a mandolin, make thin cucumber strips lengthwise. Set aside and pat excess moisture away if needed.
Season your tempeh
- Slice tempeh into thin strips.
- Whisk together coconut aminos, maple syrup, smoked paprika, garlic powder and liquid smoke if using.
- Add tempeh to a nonstick pan and sauté until sauce is absorbed and tempeh is golden on both sides. Start with half of the seasoning and add more as needed.
Assemble your sandwich
- Spread a generous amount of vegan cheese on a slice of toast. Layer cucumber slices diagonally across the toast, on top of the cream cheese. Use kitchen scissors or a knife to trim excess cucumber hanging off of the edges.
- Stack sliced avocado, tempeh and alfafa sprouts on the other slice of bread and top off with your cucumber layered piece of toast. Season with salt and pepper if desired and enjoy!