This dark and creamy black sesame smoothie recipe has banana, vanilla and vegan milk for a rich and delicicious plant-based breakfast.
- 1/3 cup black sesame seeds
- 1 frozen banana (see notes for banana-free option)*
- plant milk of choice
- vanilla bean
- tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder
- medjool dates, to taste
- toasted coconut to top
- vanilla plant protein
- Toast your black sesame seeds on the stove. Add sesame seeds to a dry pan on low heat and using a spatula, move the seeds around. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until you start to smell a toasty sesame flavour and immediately remove from the heat.
- As an optional step, you can grind your sesame seeds using a mortar and pestle or a spice/coffee grinder, however I find this to be unnecessary if using a high power blender.
- Add sesame seeds, banana, plant milk of choice, vanilla bean, cacao powder and medjool date if using. Blend until completely smooth, adjusting plant milk as desired to achieve texture of choice.
- Top with toasted coconut flakes and additional sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy immediately.
- If you would like to make this smoothie banana free, freeze full fat coconut milk in an ice cube tray and use 2-3 cubes to add frozen texture to the smoothie. I recommend adding medjool dates to sweeten if excluding bananas.