Vegan penne alla vodka is a creamy dairy-free pasta sauce with cashew cream, tomato, sweet onion and garlic: an easy plant-based dinner.
- 10 oz gluten free pasta of choice
- 1 cup reserved pasta cooking water
dairy free vodka sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vodka (optional)
- 15 oz peeled tomatoes
- 2–3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp creamy, unsweetened cashew butter
- pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh basil
- vegan parmesan (or grated macadamia nut)
- Prepare your pasta according to package directions, al dente. Reserve pasta water for later.
- Meanwhile, prepare your sauce. Add olive oil to a pan, and sauté onions until translucent and fragrant. Don’t brown! Next add garlic, and sauté again for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn heat to high, add vodka and cook down until almost fully evaporated.
- Next, add tomatoes and tomato paste to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer pan contents to a blender, add cashew butter, 1/4 cup reserved pasta water and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer your dairy-free vodka sauce back into the pan and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste. Add additional pasta water as needed to thin.
- Finally, add cooked pasta to the sauce along with additional pasta cooking water as needed and enjoy. Garnish your vegan vodka pasta with fresh basil and vegan parmesan if desired.
Keywords: italian, pasta, vodka sauce, gluten free pasta, dairy free, cashew butter, blender, 30 minute meals