Vegan Feijão Tropeiro is a meat-free Brazilian Bean dish with savory sausage, tofu, collard greens and yucca flour for creamy texture.
- 5 small collard leaves
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 can pink beans, roughly 16oz (you can use homemade beans/pinto beans too)
- 1/4 pack of extra firm tofu, about 4oz, crumbled
- 6oz vegan sausage (I used soyrizo from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted yucca flour, “farinha”
- neutral oil of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lime
- Brazilian pickled chilies
- Start by preparing your collard greens. Wash leaves well, pat dry, remove the tough spine and lay on top of each other in a pile. Roll the stack of leaves and using a very sharp knife, finely slice into strips.
- In a large saucepan, add a touch of oil if using and crumble your vegan sausage. Add it to the pan in a small pile, then add diced onion in another small pile, beans in another, garlic in another and chickpeas. Let cook for a few minutes until aromatic, without moving the piles.
- Using a spatula, sauté and toss all of your ingredients, cooking for a few more minutes. Add tofu, then add collard greens and using a fork, toss to distribute collards. Let cook for a few minutes, but avoid overcooking. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed (the dish should be salty enough with the vegan sausage), then sprinkle yucca flour over the dish, cover the pan and let sit for a few minutes.
- When ready to serve, garnish with fresh parsley and scallions in the center of the dish and slices of fresh lime.
Keywords: Feijão Tropeiro, beans, brazilian, brazilian beans, vegan sausage, gluten free, vegan