Vegan Pão De Queijo is fluffy Brazilian cheese bread with potato, tapiocoa, and nutritional yeast for a cheesy party food or appetizer.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel and chop potatoes into smaller chunks, then boil until fork tender (roughly 8-10 minutes). Drain and set aside, reserving 1/2 cup of the boiling water.
- Pour the reserved water into a bowl and whisk along with plant milk and olive oil.
- In another large bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients, then add the liquid ingredients to the bowl and mix. If using vegan cheese, fold it into the dough. Start with a spatula and then work the dough using your hands. It may be a little dry at first but just compact the dough and pack it tightly.
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat and roll tablespoon sized balls of dough. Pack them tightly and space out evenly on your baking tray, leaving at least 1″ between each ball of dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the bottom of the bread is golden brown and small cracks start to form on the surface. Enjoy!
- Please use gold potatoes only, I did not have as much success with other potato varieties. You want to end up with 1 cup of mashed potato.
- You cannot substitute this flour. Sour manioc is slightly different from tapioca starch/flour in flavour but either will work.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snacks, bread
- Method: Boiling, baking
- Cuisine: Brazilian
Keywords: Brazilian, carnaval, Pão de queijo, snacks, entertaining, bread, baking, gluten free, tapioca, grain free