Vegan Japchae is a healthy stir fry of Korean glass noodles without eggs, but tons of flavor from shiitake, spinach, scallion & onions.
- roughly 250g japchae noodles
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/3 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3–4 scallions, julienned
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4–5 cups spinach
- neutral oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar, can use other granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Optional, for garnish
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- sliced green onion/scallion
- vegan JUST egg
- Prepare your vegetables by finely julienning and chopping, and prepare your japchae sauce by whisking ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Bring water to a boil and cook your japchae noodles until soft and translucent, about 6-7 minutes. They should be almost slippery in texture. Rinse with cool water and drain, cut with scissors and mix in 1 tbsp of your sauce and let sit.
- Next, to prepare the traditional way, sauté all of your veggies individually, with oil and a touch of salt and pepper. Add each ingredient to the pan, sauté lightly (you want to maintain the crunch, so don’t overcook) then add into a large mixing bowl. Sauté your noodles for a few minutes as well and add to the vegetable bowl. Blanch and pat dry your spinach, add to the bowl and mix well to combine. Alternatively, to prepare a bit more quickly, start by sautéing carrots, then add onion, mushrooms and scallions to the pan. Add spinach at the very end and cook very lightly, then toss in your noodles along with remaining sauce and sauté until combined.
- Garnish with sliced vegan egg if using, sliced scallion and sesame seeds to top.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: sautéing
- Cuisine: Korean
Keywords: korean, vegan, gluten free, noodles, asian recipes, lunar new year, weeknight recipe, 30 minute recipe