Comforting Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup made with just 8 ingredients! Gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free option.
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15oz cans of crushed tomatoes*
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4–5 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- neutral oil to sauté (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté onions until aromatic and slightly translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Try to avoid browning, and stir regularly. Next add garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add raw cashews, tomatoes, oregano and bay leaf and cook for 2-3 minutes again.
- Add vegetable broth, cover and simmer on low heat for about 8 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, transfer everything into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Return the mixture to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
*If you prefer a creamier soup, use just 1 can of crushed tomatoes. For more tomato flavour, use 2.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: sautéing, blending
Keywords: soup, blender, tomato soup, cashews, dairy free, 30 minute recipes, weeknight recipes