Gingerbread meets brownie meets cookie. These Gingerbread Brownie Cookies are deliciously fudgy and perfectly spiced! Vegan and gluten free.
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter, room temp
- 5 oz dark, dairy free chocolate
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp oat flour
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2–3 tsp gingerbread spice (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dairy free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F while you prepare the batter, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Using the bain marie method, melt and whisk together vegan butter and dairy free chocolate until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, cream the cane sugar, coconut sugar and applesauce using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix for about 1-2 minutes until frothy and evenly incorporated. Add the melted butter and chocolate mixture into the bowl and mix for another 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Finally, in a third bowl, sift flour, cacao powder, baking powder, gingerbread spice and salt. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and using a spatula, mix until smooth, being careful not to over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop balls of dough onto the baking tray, leaving ample space between each dough ball (roughly 3″). Cookies will spread once in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the tray around and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- If desired, gently press chocolate chips into the cookie tops while still warm.
Keywords: gluten free, vegan, cookies, holiday, christmas, gingerbread, chocolate, dessert