A classic cookie with a hint of spice. These Chewy Chai Snickerdoodles are delicious, vegan, gluten free and oil free.
- 3/4 cup creamy, unsalted cashew butter
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water until thickened)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp gluten free oat flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tsp chai spice mix, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
Sugar spice mix
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chai spice mix
Chai spice mix
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground aniseed
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground black tea leaves (optional)
Prepare Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven to 350F while you prepare your dough. Prepare 1 or 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Combine cashew butter, cane sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and flax egg and cream until smooth, using a spatula.
- Sift in oat flour, almond flour, spice mix, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt, and stir again until a dough forms. Dough should be slightly sticky but workable. You can refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes to help it firm up if needed.
Prepare sugar spice mix
- In a small bowl, whisk together cane sugar, cinnamon and chai spice mix until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop dough using a cookie scoop or tablespoon and roll into balls. Gently roll the ball in the sugar spice mix to coat, then gently press into cookie shapes on your baking mat. Give cookies at least 1 1/2″ space between each other as they will spread just a bit.
- Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cookies will firm up once removed from the oven, so if you prefer a chewy cookie, pull them out around the 10-11 minute mark. If you prefer a crispier cookie, feel free to bake for additional time as needed.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before gently removing from the baking tray (so they don’t fall apart) and enjoy!
Keywords: snickerdoodle, chai, indian, cookies, holiday, christmas, oil free, gluten free, cookie, dessert, vegan