A hearty and healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie! This nourishing meal is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 3 large potatoes, white sweet or russet
- 1/2 cup celery, finely minced
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 3–4 cups mushrooms, pulsed gently in a food processor
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch, or flour of choice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (I like this vegan beef-flavoured bouillon), more as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- unsweetened plant milk, as needed
- 8 oz extra firm pressed tofu, brown/green lentils or vegan ground “beef”
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil while you prepare your potatoes. Remove skins, and chop into chunks.
- Once water is boiling, add potato chunks and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Strain and transfer potatoes into a large bowl, then mash until smooth using a potato masher or fork.
- Add plant milk as needed to help then, and season lightly with salt and pepper. You want the potatoes to be smooth enough to spread.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté shallot, celery, garlic and fresh herbs in oil or vegetable broth until fragrant and tender. Add tomato paste, arrowroot starch, frozen vegetables, mushrooms and plant protein (if using) and sauté until evenly combined.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assembling the pie
- Transfer filling into an oven safe baking dish or dutch oven and spread mashed potato mixture on top in an even layer.
- Using a fork, gently score lines into the potato layer, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Broil for 10-15 minutes until filling is bubbling and potato layer is lightly golden brown.
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, holiday, dinner, christmas, sweet potato, high protein, tofu, mushrooms, oil free