Flavourful Lemon & Herb Crusted Tofu Steaks for vegans and vegetarians alike! Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (roughly 16oz)
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (you can also use cornflakes!)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup rice or chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened, unflavoured plant milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Gently press tofu by wrapping in paper towels or a kitchen towel and placing a heavy book on top. You don’t need to press it for too long—letting it sit while you prepare the breading is enough time.
- Prepare your ingredients to batter. Add almonds, herbs, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Pulse until broken down and a crumb forms. It should look a little finer than a panko bread crumb texture.
- Pour all of your processed ingredients into a large shallow bowl, or on a large plate. In another bowl, pour your milk. Finally, set out one more bowl or plate with the chickpea or rice flour.
- To assemble, slice tofu into 6 pieces roughly an inch or two thick. Take one piece of tofu, cover it in rice flour, quickly dunk it into the milk and finally, using your other hand, cover it in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure all sides are evenly coated. You can gently press the tofu down to coat.
- Place coated tofu on a baking paper or silicon baking mat lined tray and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Tofu should be lightly golden brown and crisp.
Keywords: tofu, high protein, main dishes, weeknight meal, holiday, oil free, gluten free