A traditional Dutch and Belgian holiday cookie–Kruidnoten! Made vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup creamy roasted cashew butter (should be nice and runny)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup* or molasses (traditionally, dutch stroop is used which has a flavour more similar to molasses, but use what you can find)
- 1 tsp speculaaskruiden or homemade spice mix**
1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
**You can also use a gingerbread spice mix for a similar flavour, or to make your own spice mix, combine 4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground clove, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground coriander seeds, 1 tsp ground anise seed, 1 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp ground cardamom and a teeny pinch of white pepper. Take 1 tsp of the final mixture to use in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- To prepare your batter, whisk together all ingredients except for the oat flour until smooth. Sift in oat flour and then stir to combine with a spatula until a dough forms. It should stick together easily and be workable by hand. If your dough is too dry, you can add a tablespoon of plant milk to adjust the texture.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop batter and roll tightly between your palms to form a small ball. Space out on the baking tray leaving at least 1/2” between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes until lightly golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. The cookies will firm up considerably and continue to bake while cooling so don’t worry if they don’t feel firm right away. You can always return to the oven, but you don’t want to burn these little ones!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: desserts, cookies, christmas, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free, vegan, one bowl, under 30 minutes