A simple recipe for Vegan Cornbread Muffins that can be enjoyed both sweet and savoury. Gluten free, refined sugar free and whole food plant based.
- 1 cup cornmeal*
- 3/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, or use lemon juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup charred corn, frozen
- Preheat your oven to 375F (for 20 min) degrees and line or grease a muffin tin.
- Prepare your batter by whisking together cornmeal, oat flour, tapioca starch and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add apple cider vinegar to coconut milk and let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken. Whisk in pumpkin purée or apple sauce and maple syrup until smooth.
- Create a small well in the center of the dry ingredient bowl and add your wet ingredients, using a spatula to mix until combined.
- Pour batter into your muffin tins and bake for 15-18 minutes, until tops are golden brown and muffins are cooked through.
- You can use both yellow or white cornmeal, and fine ground or medium grind cornmeal. I’ve tried with several cornmeal types and the outcomes vary slightly in texture, but you shouldn’t have any issues with the actual recipe. I find that the medium grind cornmeal is my favourite end result texture, but use what you have available!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: baking, sides
- Method: baking
Keywords: cornbread, thanksgiving, holiday, cornmeal, cornbread, gluten free, refined sugar free, wfpb, coconut milk, baking