This Mushroom Kamameshi or Japanese Mixed Rice recipe is one from my Grandma! It’s comforting, hearty and easy to make. Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 2 cups kombu dashi (soak a piece of kombu in 2 cups of water overnight)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable dashi, or vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Japanese short grain white rice (my grandma likes this brand, but any brand will do)
- 2–3 cups mushrooms of choice (I used shimeji, oyster and enoki mushrooms)
- 1 cup lotus root, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup frozen, shelled edamame
- Prepare your kombu dashi in advance by soaking a piece of kombu about the size of half of your palm in 2 cups of water overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
- Begin by combining kombu dashi, vegetable dashi, soy sauce, sugar and salt in your rice cooker or Instant Pot.
- Next, prepare your rice by rinsing with your hands about 3-4 times in a bowl, draining the water in between rinses. If you’re using an Instant Pot, let your rinsed rice soak in water for 15-20 minutes then drain well. This step gives the rice a chance to absorb moisture, it will not cook through all the way if you skip this step as the Instant Pot cooks it a little too quickly.
- Add rinsed and drained rice to the rice cooker or Instant Pot along with all remaining ingredients. Give everything a gentle stir to, then cook as you normally would your rice. If using an Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 2 minutes, let release naturally for 10 minutes, and manually release remaining pressure. Fluff rice immediately and transfer to an airtight container.
If using an Instant Pot I highly recommend considering using a non-stick pot insert. Short grain Japanese rice almost always burns at the bottom of the Instant Pot and causes the “burn” alarm to go off.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: instant pot, rice cooker
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: instant pot, rice cooker, japanese, asian, kamameshi, mixed rice, wfpb, oil free, vegan, gluten free, one pot