A cozy and comforting Chickpea and Rice Soup that warms the soul, made with simple ingredients, in one pot! Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free with an oil free option.
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or minced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning (or all purpose seasoning of choice)
- 1–2 sprigs thyme
- 1–2 sprigs rosemary, chopped finely
- 2–3 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth, more as needed (you can also use vegan chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly 1 can, rinsed and drained)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley to garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté carrots, celery and onion with oil or a splash of veggie broth. Cook down for roughly 2 minutes to lightly soften, then add garlic, seasoning, fresh herbs and bay leaf. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry basmati rice to the pot and sauté for a few minutes to gently toast, then add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover the pot halfway and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and rice is soft.
- Add chickpeas, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with fresh parsley to garnish if desired.
Recipe adapted from my Tofu Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dishes, soups
- Method: simmering
Keywords: soup, one pot, chickpeas, wfpb, beans, high protein