Must try Indonesian Inspired Fried Rice with a little bit of spice and citrus. Vegan, gluten free and made in one pan!
- 1 1/2 red onions
- 4–5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, finely diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 thumb sized red chili, minced (adjust to taste)
- 400 grams tempeh, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- neutral oil as needed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3–4 tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1–2 tsp tamarind paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed roasted peanuts
- raw bean sprouts
- dried chili flakes
- sliced green onion
- wedge of lime
- In a large pan or wok, sauté onions, bell pepper and carrots in neutral oil until tender and aromatic. Then add garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add tempeh and mushrooms along with chili pepper, sesame oil, kecap manis and tamarind paste. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add rice and stir to evenly distribute sauce, breaking down any chunks. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and additional kecap manis as desired.
- To serve, garnish with fresh bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, chili flakes and a wedge of lime.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: sautéing
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, rice, fried rice, asian, indonesian, one pan, dinner