Healthy, hearty Cozy Pumpkin Lentil Soup! This 10 ingredient, 30 minute recipe is vegan, gluten free, high protein and can be made oil free.
- 1 small onion, red or yellow, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 inch knob of ginger
other recommended spices (if you prefer to customize)
- Indian spices garam masala, cardamom, coriander etc.
- Turmeric and extra ground black pepper for an immune system boost
- Thai curry paste
- Roasted chili peppers, for extra heat
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté onion with a splash of oil (or omit if oil-free) until soft and fragrant. Then add garlic, and all spices (excluding salt and pepper) and sauté for another minute or so, until aromatic.
- Next add lentils and pumpkin purée and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add veggie broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until lentils are softened and expand. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add any additional spices of choice.
- When ready, transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, or leave slightly chunky if you prefer. Alternatively you can blend using an immersion hand blender in the pot.
- Enjoy! To garnish, you can serve with toasted pumpkin seeds, an extra crack of black pepper and a swirl of non-dairy cream or yogurt to finish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dishes, soups
- Method: sautéing, blending
Keywords: soup, blender, lentils, high protein, dinner, pumpkin, oil free, wfpb, gluten free, vegan, dairy free