5 ingredient Eggplant “Eel” Unagi, a great alternative to conventional eel with all of the flavour you love! This easy recipe is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 3–4 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1–2 large eggplants
- Begin by preparing your eggplant. Cut lengthwise into 1/4″ slices and place into a colander.
- Generously sprinkle salt over both sides of each eggplant slice, and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes, then rinse and dry with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 350F while you prepare your sauce.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir intermittently and allow to cook down and reduce until glossy and thickened.
- Once sauce is prepared, coat each eggplant slice with sauce on both sides and lay flat onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Coat with additional sauce once removed from the oven.
Keywords: japanese, vegan, eggplant, sushi, sauce, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free