This page may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Healthy Almond Joy Smoothie Bowl!
I’ve been sharing smoothie recipes all week long on Instagram, and when I asked for smoothie flavour requests, an Almond Joy Smoothie Bowl really stuck out. I love turning classic snacks and candy into healthier, vegan recipes, and today I’ve done just that, so now you can enjoy everything you love about Almond Joy bars for breakfast. It’s an easy to make smoothie bowl with a thick texture, plant protein and the most delicious, crunchy toppings. Think toasted coconut, almonds and dreamy dark chocolate. Hungry yet? 😉
This smoothie recipe is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. It is not nut-free, because almonds are a primary ingredient, however if you prefer something nut-free, try this Mango Creamsicle Smoothie instead!
What’s in this Almond Joy Smoothie Bowl?
- Bananas (or zucchini)
- Toasted almonds
- Almond butter
- Almond extract
- Vanilla bean
- Chocolate plant protein powder
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Dark chocolate drizzle
- Sprinkle of salt (trust me on this one!)
Secrets to success
As always, please feel free to adjust texture of this smoothie as you’d like. Start with less coconut milk, and add more as desired until you reach your desired thickness.
If you choose to use zucchini in place of banana, you may need to add a medjool date, or make sure your protein powder has some form of sweetener. Otherwise, your smoothie will be very bitter thanks to the cacao powder.
I topped my smoothie bowl with a drizzle of melted dark chocolate. I recommend using the bain marie method to melt a few squares of dark chocolate while you’re preparing your smoothie. You don’t want to have to wait for it to melt while your smoothie bowl starts to liquify.
If you like this recipe, try…
- Mango Creamsicle Smoothie
- Sunshine Healer Smoothie Bowl
- Vanilla Mint Chip Smoothie Bowl
- Everyday Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @veggiekins so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.
Almond Joy Smoothie Bowl (vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free)
- 1 1/2 ripe frozen banana, or 1 cup frozen chopped zucchini
- a serving chocolate plant protein powder I like this brand
- 1 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 tbsp cacao powder you can omit if your protein is chocolate-y enough, or use 2 tbsp if not using chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk more as needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean scraped
- 1/4 tsp almond extract more to taste
- handful ice cubes or frozen coconut milk cubes (optional)
- toppings optional
- melted dark chocolate drizzle
- toasted sliced almonds
- toasted coconut flakes
- light sprinkle of sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a high power blender, and using a tamper, blend until smooth. Add additional coconut milk as desired, to adjust texture or to help it blend.
- Serve, and top with ingredients of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.