Easy, homemade Basic Vegan Beans you can make stovetop or in the Instant Pot. Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 1 1/2 cups dry beans (I used cranberry beans, pinto beans are similar)
- 4” piece of kombu/kelp
- 1 head of garlic, halved or top sliced off
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 shallot
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2–3 few sprigs of thyme and rosemary
- 1–2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare beans by rinsing, and soaking in filtered water with kombu. Make sure there’s at least 2 inches of water above the beans as they will expand. Soak for at least 2-3 hours, or overnight preferably.
- Baking method: Preheat your oven to about 350F. Drain beans, saving kombu, and transfer to an oven safe dutch oven. Add all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper to the pot and bake for about 2 hours. Beans are ready when they are fork tender.
- Instant Pot method: If using this method, you can skip soaking if you’d like. Drain beans, saving kombu and add to Instant Pot along with remaining ingredients except for salt and pepper. Cook on High Pressure function for 25 minutes (this cook time works for cranberry beans and similar white beans like pinto). Release pressure using a spoon (be careful not to get hit by the steam release).
- Stovetop method: Drain beans, saving kombu and add along with all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper to large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook until beans are tender. It may take anywhere between 1-3 hours, depending on the bean varietal so just check in on them every so often.
- Once beans are cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
I recommend storing beans in the cooking liquid in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: beans, high protein, one pot, instant pot, basics, dutch oven