The Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies that are perfectly chewy! Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, oil free made in one bowl.
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter (with no added sugars/oils)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (brown sugar, or another granulated sugar will also work)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp fine oat flour
- 2 tbsp blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (or as much as your heart desires) I like to use mini chips for best texture, or these oil-free, coconut sugar sweetened chips
- optional, pinch of salt
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350F while you prepare your cookie dough.
- In a large bowl, whisk almond butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Gently fold in your flax egg with a spatula.
- Next, sift in all your dry ingredients (excluding chocolate chips), folding until dough is even and starts to pull away from edges of the bowl. See reference photo for texture. Add chocolate chips and refrigerate dough if needed (see “secrets to success”).
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and quickly roll into a ball shape* then lightly flatten onto a non-stick baking mat lined tray. Leave about 2 inches between cookies as they will spread a little bit as they bake.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until tops are lightly golden brown and edges are cooked.* Remove from oven and let cool before lifting off the tray (don’t worry, they’ll still be soft and chewy!).
* If you have issues with dough sticking to your hand, refrigerate, and work quickly with lightly damp hands. You can also add additional oat flour by the tbsp, but do so sparingly because it will result in a drier cookie.
** Keep in mind cookies will continue to cook for a few minutes after removed from oven and will firm up as they cool. I like to bake mine for exactly 10 minutes.
*** To store cookies, make sure they are completely cool, and store in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper between 2 cookies if stacking. You can also freeze them this way to enjoy later!
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, cookies, chocolate, dessert, oil free, almond butter, refined sugar free, one bowl, under 30 minutes