Easy and pantry friendly Green Garden Burgers. Perfect for making sandwiches, wraps, salads or, you know, burgers! Vegan, gluten free, oil free, nut free.
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced or minced
- 5 small cloves garlic, minced (preferably roasted)
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 heaping cup cooked white beans (any soft bean like great northern, pinto, navy or even black eyed pea will work)
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, cooked (I like to cook with veggie broth instead of water for added flavour)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water, can sub ground chia seeds)
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce, or liquid aminos, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2–3 tbsp gluten free flour, as needed (can use oat, brown rice, quinoa, chickpea)
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, in a small pan over medium high heat, cook shallot until caramelized and fragrant, then add garlic, and frozen spinach until spinach is soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, mash beans using a fork, until mostly smooth (some chunks are ok to leave for texture!).
- To the bowl, add spinach mixture, cooked quinoa, flax egg, soy sauce, and spices and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, and any additional spices of choice. Finally, add gluten free flour by the tablespoon as needed, until the mixture is workable with your hands.
- Using your hands, form burger patties, making sure to tightly pack mixture. If it falls apart, go back and add flour first. Place formed patties on a nonstick baking mat.
- To serve, you can either bake, grill or pan-fry. To bake, set oven to 400F and bake on each side for 10 minutes on a nonstick baking mat. To grill, place on foil and grill each side for 5-8 minutes or until desired result is achieved. Finally, to pan-fry, cook each side for 5-6 minutes or until a slight golden crust is achieved (use oil or use a good quality nonstick pan).
Keywords: burgers, quinoa, spinach, main dishes, lunch, dinner, sandwiches, 30 minute meals, oil free, gluten free, pantry friendly