Hearty and high protein Mushroom Asparagus Lentil Risotto. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free.
- 4 cups mushroom broth (you can also use vegetable broth instead)
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms of choice
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white lentils, soaked and drained*
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2–3 macadamia nuts, for garnish
- Bring mushroom broth to a light simmer and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, sauté asparagus and mushrooms with gluten free soy sauce and garlic powder for about 2-3 minutes, or until asparagus is bright green and mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, lower the heat to medium and sauté onion with a touch of oil or veggie stock until translucent and fragrant. Add garlic, dry rice and lentils to the pan, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of mushroom broth to the pan with the lentils and rice and stir until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Continue the process, by the 1/2 cup until all the broth is used and rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from heat, stir in miso paste, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with mushrooms and asparagus on top, or stir into the mixture.
- Top risotto with macadamia nuts, grated or microplaned on top for an extra touch. Enjoy!
*If you choose to soak your lentils for about 3 hours or overnight before cooking, it will result in a much more tender risotto, and may cook more quickly. This is an optional step.
Keywords: risotto, dinner, high protein, lentils, gluten free, oil free, miso, probiotic, gut health, mushroom