A meatless take on a Korean classic, Vegan “Bulgogi” Korean BBQ Beef. Gluten free, refined sugar free and oil free option.
- 1–2 cups soy curls, rehydrated*
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped or pulsed in food processor until chunky
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
korean barbeque marinade
- 1/2 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or sub cornstarch)
- additional sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Over medium heat, sauté onions until soft and lightly golden and caramelized, then add soy curls and mushrooms to the pan. Cook until mushrooms are soft and lightly glossy.
- Add 1/3 of the marinade to the pan and sauté to coat evenly. Add additional marinade as you see fit, tasting to adjust. The marinade will be quite salty, to start with a small amount and add more to taste, if necessary. To thicken the sauce, you can add an arrowroot powder + water mixture (mix water and arrowroot powder in a small bowl first, then add to the pan).
- Serve over fresh rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
* To rehydrate soy curls, follow package instructions. Most soy curls are rehydrated by simply soaking in water until soft. Once rehydrated, squeeze out any excess water before cooking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: pan fry
Keywords: korean, asian, lunch, dinner, high protein, gluten free, oil free, soy curls