Adorable cashew butter conversation heart cookies! Healthy, delicious and thoughtful cookies perfect for your loved ones. Vegan, gluten-free, oil free, refined sugar free.
- 1 1/4 cup fine oat flour (or all purpose gluten-free flour of choice)
- 1/2 cup creamy cashew butter (opt for one without added sugar/oils)
- 1/3–1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F while you prepare your dough.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cashew butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth. If using food colouring, add it to the wet ingredients.
- Sift in oat flour, baking powder and salt then mix together using a spatula until a dough forms. It should be workable with your hands. If you find it to be too wet, you can pop it into the fridge to set for a few more minutes, or add additional oat flour by the tablespoon.
- Roll dough out between 2 nonstick baking mats or sheets of parchment paper using a rolling pin (or any bottle you have lying around!) until roughly 1/4 inch thick. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to make hearts.
- Place on a nonstick baking mat, leaving at least a 1/2 inch between each cookie. They won’t spread too much, but give them rom to bake evenly. Bake for roughly 10-13 minutes, keeping in mind the cookies will firm up after baking.
- Let cool completely before preparing your icing. If using coconut sugar, blend until a powder forms, then mix 1/4 cup with non-dairy milk or water by the teaspoon. Mix until you achieve a thick paste. If the mixture is too wet, it will take a long time to set and will be harder to ice with. If using coconut butter, melt by placing the jar into a pot of freshly boiled water (off the stove). Allow to melt, and once melted, transfer to a piping bag and allow to cool slightly before icing. Again, coconut butter is harder to work with, but is a great whole food alternative.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
Keywords: cashew butter, maple, cookies, dessert, valentine's day, gluten free, oil free, wfpb, refined sugar free, entertaining, holidays