Delicious vegan and gluten-free dumpling/potstickers with made from scratch wrappers. Enjoy steamed or pan-fried.
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour (I used this blend)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water (more as needed)
- 6 large napa cabbage leaves, shredded
- 2 cups mushrooms (I used shiitake)
- 1/2 cup green onion/scallion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 tsp minced ginger
- 3 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce (tamari or other substitute will work too)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (optional, for flavour)
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onion, thinly sliced
- toasted black and white sesame seeds
- additional gluten-free soy sauce to serve
- Start by preparing your filling. Add cabbage and mushroom to a food processor and pulse until minced. Alternatively, you can chop by hand! Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl, and toss to coat in gluten-free soy sauce and sesame oil if using. Set aside.
- Prepare wrapper dough by sifting flour into a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the center of the bowl and pour hot water into the well. Using a spatula, start to mix flour and water until dough comes together. If you need to, add additional water (start with less, you can add more but not take away!). Cover the bowl of dough with a damp towel to avoid drying out while you work.
- Flour your work surface, or lay out a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper and prepare a small bowl of water. Scoop roughly a tennis ball sized piece of dough and roll out using a rolling pin. Using a circular mold (cookie cutter or mason jar lid works best) create a circle out of the dough. Remove excess dough from the edges, and roll out wrapper again until about 1/8th of an inch thick. It should be the size of your hand.
- Take about 2-3 tsp of filling and place in the center of your wrapper. Trace inner edge of the wrapper with a little bit of water and fold in half. Wrap as desired (I like to do pleats across the seam) and make sure edges are sealed tightly.
- When ready to cook, you can steam until skins are soft and cooked through, boil, or pan-fry. To pan-fry, add a small amount of neutral oil to a large, flat pan and let oil coat the surface. Add dumplings onto the pan (flat side down) and cover to let fry for a few minutes. Then add about 1/4 cup cold water to the pan and cover with a lid. Let cook until water is absorbed.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: steam, pan fry
Keywords: asian, dumplings, chinese, potstickers, gluten free, oil free, vegan, vegetarian