A delicious high protein Tempeh Mushroom Bolognese, a vegan take on bolognese. Gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free and nut free.
- 1/2 cup shredded or very finely diced carrot
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1–2 stalks celery, roughly 1/3 cup finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2–3 cups mushrooms of choice (I used shiitake, button mushrooms work too)
- 4–5 ounces tempeh
- 8oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8oz pasta of choice, cooked
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- cracked black pepper
- grated macadamia nut (in lieu of parmesan, or use vegan parmesan)
- parsley or basil to garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add a splash of oil or use veggie broth and sauté carrots, onion and celery until fragrant. Using a spatula, stir frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and all spices to the pan, sautéing for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tempeh to a food processor on “chop” and give it a few pulses to break down and until desired texture is achieved. I like to keep mine a little chunky. Alternatively, use our hands and break down, then add to the pan along with soy sauce and miso paste.
- Next add diced tomatoes to pan, along with veggie broth and bay leaves. Cover and lower heat to low, allowing sauce to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If your mixture feels too dry, add additional veggie broth.
- Optional step: to really allow flavour to marinate, you can place saucepan into the oven at roughly 300F for about 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare your pasta according to package directions and save about 1/4 cup of your pasta cooking water. When ready to enjoy, add pasta and pasta water to sauce and fold gently to combine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main dishes
- Method: sautéing
Keywords: pasta, dinner, lunch, main dishes, high protein, vegan, tempeh, bolognese, gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free