An easy and healthy recipe for Almond Butter Gingerbread Cookies. These cookies are vegan, gluten-free, oil free with a nut free and paleo friendly option.
- 1 + 1/3 cup gluten free oat flour (I recommend using finely ground oat flour for best results)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp smooth and creamy almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- 1/3–1/2 cup blackstrap molasses or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- more oat flour to roll dough as needed
- 1/3 cup warmed coconut butter + 1 tsp of maple syrup to frost if desired, or use organic powdered sugar + water to create an easy icing
- Preheat oven to 325F while you prep your dough.
- In a large bowl, combine molasses, almond butter and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk to combine until smooth. Tip: make sure ingredients are at room temperature to make whisking easier.
- Sift in oat flour, baking powder and gingerbread spice and use a spatula to mix.
- Mix until a dough forms. It should be moist, not too sticky, and easily rollable. If needed, refrigerate dough for about 10 minutes to help make dough more workable. Add additional oat flour as needed and roll out between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll dough about 1/4 inch in thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut out gingerbread shapes. Poke eyes into gingerbread, and buttons if desired using a chopstick. Use excess edge dough and re-roll to continue until all the dough is cut.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 min, keeping in mind the cookies will firm up after baking. Keep an eye on them to make sure they do not burn and remove from oven to a cooling rack to avoid burning. Let cool completely.
- Once cooled, mix together coconut butter and maple syrup until smooth. Give mixture a few minutes to cool and firm up until it resembles an icing texture. Using a piping bag, frost designs as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
Keywords: gingerbread, christmas, oil free, refined sugar free, nut free, vegan, desserts, one bowl