Vegan Tofu Chicken Noodle Soup, a cozy winter dinner or lunch made with textured tofu, and gluten-free noodles. Vegan, gluten free, high protein, oil free, refined sugar free and grain free.
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu, roughly 2 cups
- 1–2 servings pasta of choice, I like chickpea pasta or gluten free stars*
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 2–3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1–2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2–3 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4–5 cups veggie broth or vegan chicken broth
- handful fresh parsley
- salt + pepper to taste
Preparing the tofu
- The night before you prepare your soup, prep your tofu. Wrap it in a kitchen towel, then gently press it by laying a heavy object on top for about 10 minutes. You can use a heavy book, or a tofu press if you have one.
- Once pressed, slice tofu into small, bite sized cubes and place on a baking tray to freeze overnight. This will create a nice texture to the tofu. Remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 30 minutes, or while you’re preparing your broth.
How to make gluten free pasta stars
- If you’d like to make dainty little pasta stars, cook up some gluten free lasagna per package directions. Slightly undercook so the pasta is al dente, keeping in mind the pasta will continue to cook slightly once it’s added to the soup.
- Once pasta is cooked remove from the pot and use a small, star shaped food cutter to punch out stars. If you’d like, you can toss with a touch of oil just to keep from sticking. Set aside.
Making your soup!
- Start by sautéing your carrots and celery in a large pot for a few minutes until fragrant. Add onion and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Next add your herbs, bay leaf and garlic to the pot. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add your tofu to the pot, and sauté with your tamari, garlic powder and onion powder. Add your vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add your cooked gluten free pasta just before serving, cook for 2-3 minutes and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with a garnish of finely diced fresh parsley and black pepper.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soups, mains
- Method: freezing, sautéing, boiling
Keywords: chicken noodle soup, tofu, soup, winter, high protein, pasta, noodles, gluten free, oil free, wfpb, one pot