A homemade recipe for spicy miso cheesy kale chips. Vegan, gluten-free, oil free and perfect for a healthy snack or meal-prep.
- 3 bunches of kale
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 lemon juice, squeezed
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (can use brown rice miso or alternative as well)
- 1/2 tbsp togarashi spice (or chili flakes, or other spice blend of choice)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300F while you prepare your miso mixture, and kale.
- Wash kale, de-stem and pat dry with a kitchen towel as much as possible. Break the leafy areas into large pieces (You know how kale chips always break down into small pieces by the end of the bag? Keep ‘em large!). Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a food processor, or high speed blender, blend remaining ingredients until a smooth paste forms. If the mixture looks a little gritty, it’s not a big deal, it will actually add some texture to the chips after baking. Give mixture a taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Combine the paste mixture with the kale leaves using your hands, to distribute the mixture evenly. Aim to completely coat all the kale leaves.
- Lay coated kale pieces onto a baking mat lined tray, making sure no pieces overlap. Trust me, it’s tempting to toss it all onto the tray at once, but this is essential for crunch!
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and bake for another 12 minutes or so. You may need to bake for additional 10 minute increments until fully crisp, but keep an eye on your kale as it can very easily burn.
- Before consuming or storing, let chips completely cool, laying out on a baking sheet or tray. Again, try not to crowd the chips or layer them on top of each other, as they will end up steaming and becoming soggy.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping half way through, and cook for an additional 12-15 minutes as needed until crisp.
For airfryer method, follow instructions here.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: snacks
- Method: baking
Keywords: kale chips, kale, snacks, vegan, gluten free, oil free