The best sweet potato cassava tortillas made with 3 simple ingredients. Vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo, oil free, refined sugar free.
- 1 1/4 cup cooled and roasted sweet potato
- 1 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Prepare sweet potatoes by roasting in the oven until soft. Allow to cool to room temp, peel skin, and use a food processor to blend into a smooth purée. Use 1 1/4 cup of this purée.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sweet potato purée, cassava flour, baking soda and salt. Start by mixing with a spatula, then use your hands and knead into a dough. Add additional flour by the tablespoon as needed, if dough is too sticky to work (you may need more depending on what brand of flour you use).
- Take your ball of dough, and divide into 8-10 pieces.
- To roll into tortillas, take one portion of dough, sandwich between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll with a rolling pin or bottle. Aim for thickness about 1/4 of an inch thin, or less. Peel off the top layer of parchment paper, and move the tortilla (stuck onto the bottom piece of parchment paper) to the side. Repeat to use up remaining dough.
- When ready to cook, heat up a nonstick pan or skillet on medium high heat. Test with a few drops of water–it should sizzle when ready. Take one tortilla (with the parchment paper stuck on the bottom), and lay it flat onto the pan, parchment paper side UP. Slowly peel off the parchment paper.
- When the edges crisp, and you can easily work a spatula underneath the tortilla, flip and cook for another few minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: mains
- Method: pan-frying
Keywords: tortillas, sweet potato, cassava flour, grain free, paleo, vegan, gluten free, oil free, wfpb