A veganized, tofu-based “spam” musubi. A Japanese American snack from Hawaii, made vegan, gluten-free, oil free and refined sugar free.
- 6 oz extra firm tofu (about 1/2 of a standard 14oz block of tofu)
- 2 cups freshly steamed white short grain Japanese rice*
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (feel free to use black, white or both)
- 1–2 sheets of unseasoned nori
- pinch of salt
- Slice tofu into spam sized pieces. I started by cutting the block of tofu in half (to create two wider blocks, not longer blocks, if that makes sense!). Press the tofu using a tofu press, or allowing to sit, sandwiched between paper towels and a heavy book on top for pressure. Press for about 20-30 minutes, or longer if possible! This allows for better texture and more water to be released.
- Once tofu is pressed, slice into pieces about an inch thick, and shape rectangles into spam shape, roughly 2 inches by 4 inches and round off the corners if desired.
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce by whisking together all sauce ingredients and allow tofu to marinate in the sauce. Again, the longer the better, for maximum flavour absorption! I recommend at least 30 minutes to an hour, but if you’d like to, you can also let sit in the fridge overnight.
- When tofu is ready, you can choose to pan fry tofu with any remaining sauce, until golden brown, and all the sauce is absorbed. Otherwise, you can bake at 375F in the oven on a nonstick baking mat for about 10 minutes on each side, brushing with leftover marinade as you flip.
- Prepare nori strips by cutting into strips about 2 inches wide, and prepare rice by tossing in a large bowl with sesame seeds and a pinch of salt. Use a spatula to toss, being careful not to break the rice grains or mush the rice.
- To assemble, take about 1/2-2/3 cup of rice and using your hands, press together firmly with moist hands to form an oval shape. You can also use a form/mold to do this. This will be your rice ball base! Top with a slice of tofu, and wrap with a nori strip. To finish, brush with any remaining sauce.
*I recommend preparing in a rice cooker for best results
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: snacks
- Method: baking
Keywords: tofu, spam musubi, sushi, japanese, rice ball, vegan, gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free.