Hot Chocolate French Toast, a breakfast mashup that is decadent and perfect for your sweet tooth, but made with better for you ingredients. Vegan, gluten free, and easy to make!
- 3/4 cup oat milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1–2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch can work as a sub)
- 4–5 slices of gluten-free bread, preferably a little on the drier side*
- mini vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- mini vegan marshmallows
- date syrup drizzle
- anything you’d like!
- In a large bowl, whisk together all your ingredients (except bread of course!)
- Next, allow this mixture to thicken for at 8-10 minutes, and then give it another quick whisk. This will allow the flax seed to expand and the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, making sure it’s sizzling and ready to go. You can use a little bit of oil of choice or vegan butter if preferred, but if using a good nonstick pan, can omit.
- Soak each side of the bread into the mixture for about 30-40 seconds on each side, then cook on the pan for about 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Be patient before flipping, and allow each side to really firm up.
- Before moving onto the next slice, give the dipping mixture a quick whisk.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
Drier bread will absorb the batter a little bit more easily.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: hot chocolate french toast, vegan hot chocolate, vegan french toast, french toast, breakfast