Vegan kimbap, or korean rice roll! This is a classic Korean recipe, made vegan and gluten-free.
- 3 cups cooked, short grain white rice
- 5 sheets of dried seaweed (unseasoned)
- 5 cups spinach (keep in mind, this will wilt down significantly!)
- 1 large carrot, cut into very thin, long strips
- 5–6 strips of pickled yellow radish
- 5–6 strips of cooked burdock root (here’s a photo I found of what it looks like–find it any Korean grocery store)
- toasted sesame oil to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/2 bottle of vegan egg (we used JUST egg)
- Sauté carrots over medium heat until bright orange and slightly tender. Season with salt. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Blanch spinach in boiling water, strain and press down to remove excess water. Toss with 1-2 tsp of toasted sesame oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- If using vegan egg, pour JUST liquid egg batter onto the pan, and allow to cook like a pancake, following instructions on bottle. Remove from pan, and cut into thin, long strips. You can use the pickled yellow radish as a guide for length of the strips.
- Add your rice to a large mixing bowl and toss, using a spatula, adding a little bit of salt, and optional little toasted sesame oil (about 1/2 tbsp). This step primarily helps to cool down the rice and makes rolling much easier.
- Get ready to roll! Lay out a sheet of seaweed on a bamboo mat, or just a dry, flat surface. Seaweed should be rough side facing upwards. Spread a scoop of rice onto the seaweed, using the spatula to spread it evenly across the seaweed, leaving a bit of an edge exposed on one side. You should end up covering the sheet about 3/4 of the way.
- Lay your filling ingredients on top of the rice in a line, starting with pickled radish and burdock, and laying carrots and spinach across the top. Finally, lay the vegan egg on top if using.
- Tightly roll your kimbap, sealing the end with a little bit of water as needed. Traditionally, the outside of the roll is brushed with a little bit of toasted sesame oil and additional salt for flavour.
- Slice into 8-10 pieces per roll, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Keywords: kimbap, gluten free, korean food, rice, snack, vegan, plant based, wfpb