An easy recipe for homemade vegan matcha bubble tea. A fun play on a classic recipe, in birthday cake flavour! Naturally gluten-free, a little better for you and just as delicious.
- 1/2 cup dry tapioca pearls (amazon sells many)
- 3 cups of water
- 2–3 tablespoons liquid sweetener of choice (any liquid like coconut nectar, maple syrup or other)
- 2 cups of vegan milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegan whipped cream
- vegan sprinkles (I used these naturally coloured ones)
- vegan vanilla ice cream
- In a saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add dry tapioca pearls and continue to boil on low heat for about 5 min, or according to package directions. Make sure you stir occasionally so the tapioca pearls don’t stick together. You’ll know when the tapioca is ready when it becomes a translucent black. You can also try one pearl to make sure it’s cooked through.
- While this is cooking, prepare your birthday cake milk. Combine milk, vanilla extract and sweetener (and a few spoonfuls of vegan ice cream if using). You can either whisk or blend to combine.
- Once tapioca pearls are cooked through, remove from heat and strain. Transfer to a bowl and cover with just enough water so it doesn’t dry out, and add 2 tablespoons of sweetener.
- To assemble, strain and divide the cooked tapioca between 2 cups. Add ice if desired, pour birthday cake milk into each glass, and top with vegan whip and sprinkles if desired.
- Add additional sweetener as needed, and enjoy! Don’t forget to use a re-usable metal bubble tea straw