A delicious and healthy Meyer Lemon Donut recipe with Blackberry Chia Jam. Gluten-free, vegan and baked!
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 heaping tbsp meyer lemon juice
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 8 tsp lemon juice
Blackberry Chia Jam (based on the original Cranberry Chia Jam):
- Preheat your oven to 350F while you prepare your batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together maple syrup, apple sauce, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Sift in chickpea flour, rice flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use a spatula to combine mixture until smooth. Mixture may poof up a little bit–this is ok!
- Transfer your mixture into donut mold. I recommend using a piping bag, to pipe into the mold, or spoon in but then remove any air bubbles using a toothpick. This will allow for even baking and no craters in your donuts!
- Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes and use a toothpick to check they are cooked through. Toothpick should come out clean! I baked for approx 16 minutes exactly, but this was my first time using a silicon baking mold too. Trust the toothpick!
- While the donuts are baking, prepare icing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and mixing until smooth.
- Next, prep chia jam (if using), by adding blackberries, water and maple syrup to a small covered sauce pan on low heat. Allow the blackberries to burst, and using a spatula or other utensil, smush them down to break down. Add chia seeds and stir, remove from heat and allow to thicken.
- When donuts are ready, remove from pan and allow to cool completely. Dip each one into icing, and let excess icing drip off of a cooling rack.
- Spoon chia jam into the center of each donut if desired. I recommend adding jam when you intend to eat, so it doesn’t cause the donut to go soggy otherwise.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
Keywords: meyer lemon, donut, healthy donut, healthy baking, gluten free, nut free, oil free, refined sugar free, healthy dessert, vegan, plant based, dairy free