Healthy Vegan Cheez Its–a play on the classic snack made vegan, gluten free, oil free and high in protein! Better for you and super fun to make at home.
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup fine oat flour
- 3–4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3–5 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- crack of black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt*
- pinch of ground turmeric (for colour)
- 2 tsp miso paste (if using, reduce salt to 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese, grated or pulsed in a food processor (highly recommended!!)
- Preheat oven to 350F while you prepare your dough.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in chickpea flour, oat flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder and spices. Whisk until combined and no lumps remain.
- To the bowl, add tahini, miso paste if using, and water by the tablespoon. Begin to mix dough with a spatula or your hands and add additional liquid as needed until a dough forms. Dough should stick together, pull away from sides of the bowl but not be too sticky to handle.
- If using vegan cheese, grate it finely or pulse in a food processor to break down into small pieces. Incorporate and mix into the dough.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out to create a thin layer. Aim for the thickness of a traditional cheez it (the thinner, the crispier the result!).
- Using a knife, cut horizontal lines and vertical lines to create cheez it sized squares, and poke a hole in the center of each square using a chopstick or other stick.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are crisp and cracker is golden brown. Let cool completely before storing.
I recommend using Violife parmesan, as it grates wonderfully and has a great sharp taste to it.
Use salt to taste, and consider using a heavy hand–the original Cheez It is insanely salty, but you know your palate best!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Category: snacks
- Method: baking
Keywords: cheez its, vegan, gluten free, oil free, healthy snack, dairy free, vegan cheese