My version of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi! A homemade, lower-carb, vegan gnocchi recipe made with cauliflower, oat flour, and tapioca starch. Oil-free, sugar-free, fat-free, gluten-free, and surprisingly quick and easy!
- about 1/2 to 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 1/4 cup of fine oat flour (or gluten-free flour blend of choice)
- 3–4 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
- Prep your oat flour and tapioca flour so it’s ready to go, while you boil water to prepare to steam cauliflower.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and steam until fork tender.
- Drain cauliflower and immediately blend or process until a very smooth purée is achieved.
- Sift in your oat and tapioca flour blend and combine with 1 cup of cauliflower purée. Start with a spatula and then use your hands to knead. Try not to over-knead as it will result in a tough gnocchi.
- Sprinkle a little oat flour onto a cutting board or surface, and roll dough into a long strand about 1/2 inch thick, or desired size and use a knife to cut small gnocchi pieces. You can press with a fork to add texture or shape as you’d like.
- To cook, boil water, and then add gnocchi into the pot until it floats to the top of the water. I recommend heating your sauce in a pan, and adding the freshly cooked gnocchi to to toss for a few minutes.
- Serve with marinara sauce, basil and a grating of vegan parmesan, or any sauce of choice.
- I have seen cassava flour used in many sweet potato AND cauliflower gnocchi recipes, and it would make a great substitute in this recipe (sub for all the flour).
- As an alternative to tapioca starch, you may use arrowroot starch, potato starch or corn starch. Results may vary.
- Store leftover vegan gnocchi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, pan-fry to get the right texture.
- To freeze, cool completely. Then store in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and pan-fry or broil to reheat.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: main dishes
- Method: boiling
Keywords: vegan gnocchi recipe, gluten free, cauliflower gnocchi, low carb, whole 30, gluten free, oil free, sugar free