A heart-healthy, nutrient dense brownie. Vegan, gluten free, oil free and refined sugar free. Easy, delicious and perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup fine oat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 very ripe avocado (approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 small steamed beets (approx 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees while you prepare your brownie batter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (oat flour, cacao powder, ground flax, baking soda, coconut sugar and salt).
- Blend the avocado, beets, non-dairy milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a high speed blender until completely smooth and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth batter forms.
- Mix in chocolate chips/chunks if using, and transfer batter to lined baking dish. I used this Staub ceramic baking dish but you can also use a square baking tray! I just wanted my brownies a little thicker, so I used a deeper dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (my dish was a bit deeper, so I ended up baking closer to 30). Check to see whether it is cooked through by poking a skewer through the center. If it comes out clean, your brownies are ready to go!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely if cutting into shapes.
- If you want to get extra festive, cut heart shapes out of brownies and dust with a mixture of equal parts beet powder and organic powdered sugar through a sugar duster.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
Keywords: baking, desserts, healthy dessert, brownies, oil free, gluten free, avocado, vegan, plantbased, healthy