Creamy and comforting Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup, but it’s dairy free, vegan and gluten free with nut free and oil free options.
- 1 large head of broccoli, about 4–5 cups florets
- 1/2 large sweet or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, about 1 1/4 cup diced chunks
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 4–5 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp white miso paste, optional, but highly recommended
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard powder, optional but highly recommended
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan cheese to garnish
- Sauté onion over medium heat in a large pot with a little vegetable broth or oil. Stir consistently and don’t let the onion brown, you just want them to soften slightly and become fragrant. Add potato, carrot, garlic and cashews and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, again making sure to stir and avoid browning.
- Next add vegetable broth and bring to a low boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover, and let cook for about 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender.
- Transfer all ingredients to blender and add nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, ground mustard powder, miso paste and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and return to the pot.
- Toss in your broccoli florets, and cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat until broccoli florets are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, top with shredded vegan cheese or a nut based parmesan to top.
This recipe was updated on January 7th, 2020. 3 tbsp of raw cashews were upped to 1/3 cup of cashews and the method no longer requires pre-soaking. Ground mustard was also added to the recipe for depth of flavour and liquid quantities were modified slightly.
Keywords: broccoli soup, broccoli cheese soup, vegan soup, gluten free vegan, oil free