Breakfast is one of my favourite meals, and pancakes are one of my favourite foods soooo I’m excited to bring you 2 fun ways to eat pancakes: Rainbow Pancake Tacos and a Pancake Bake! Both are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and so easy to make thanks to Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Mix. These recipes are great for having guests over for breakfast or for families with lots of pancake lovers to feed. The Rainbow Pancake Tacos are a fun way to serve pancakes and also encourage your little ones to eat more fruit, while the Pancake Bake is a great way to make pancakes by tossing it into the oven, and forgetting it–no pancake flipping required. The Pancake Bake is also freezer-friendly, which means it’s meal-prep friendly if you’re short on time in the mornings.
I’m so excited to be partnering with Simple Mills to celebrate #WholeYear–a year of healthy and whole food based meals all year without sacrificing fun or flavour. In case you’re not familiar with Simple Mills, they are an amazing gluten-free and paleo friendly brand that makes snacks, baking mixes and cookies.
The majority of the products are also vegan, or can be made vegan, as well as oil-free. They also use whole food ingredients, with nothing hard to pronounce or unidentifiable in the ingredient list and best of all, their products are all delicious. You probably know this if you’re gluten-free, but making your own flour blends can be a bit of a pain, and typically calls for multiple kinds of flours in one recipe. Using Simple Mills makes gluten-free baking especially easy, and will make these 2 recipes even easier to make. You can find their products at most grocery stores and they’re now available at Target stores too!
If you want to see just how easy it is to make these recipes, make sure you head over to YouTube to check out the tutorial video.
R A I N B O W P A N C A K E T A C O S
– 1 cup of Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Mix
– 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water)
– 2 tbsp vegan milk or water (I used water)
– 4 tsp vegan yogurt OR oil
– toppings of choice
1. First, make flax egg by combining flax seeds + water and allowing to sit for a few minutes until thickened.
2. In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, flax eggs, milk or water and yogurt. Mix together until smooth.
3. Set a nonstick pan over medium heat and allow to heat up. You can test when it’s ready by dropping a little water into the pan–it should sizzle and evaporate quickly.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and use the back of a spoon to flatten out mixture into circular shape if needed.
5. Once bubbles form, flip the pancake and cook on the other side for about a minute. Repeat until no batter remains.
6. To assemble pancake tacos, layer a spoonful of yogurt or other topping (e.g. peanut butter, coconut cream) and then top with rainbow fruits of choice. Fold into tacos and enjoy!
P A N C A KE B A K E
– 1 full package of Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Mix
– 1/3 cup vegan milk or water (I used almond milk)
– 5 flax eggs (5 tbsp ground flax seeds + 15 tbsp water)
– 3 tbsp vegan yogurt OR oil
– 1 cup blueberries
– 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat your oven to 350F while you prepare the batter.
2. Make flax egg by combining flax seeds + water and allowing to sit for a few minutes until thickened.
3. To the bowl, add milk or water, yogurt and full package of pancake mix. Mix until smooth and no lumps remain. If you need to, add additional vegan milk by the teaspoon to thin. (Refer to this video to see the ideal texture you want to achieve)
4. Transfer batter into an oven-safe baking dish, lightly greased or lined with parchment paper. I used this baking dish.
5. Top with blueberries, pecans, or other toppings of choice and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Use a toothpick to test whether it is completely baked through.
6. To serve, top with maple syrup or other toppings of choice, slice and enjoy!
Love & pancakes,
share this post:
BY Remy • January 3, 2019
leave a comment
read more —>
Hi there, I’m Remy! Welcome to Veggiekins Blog, home to nourishing vegan + gluten-free recipes and tips to live your best balanced and holistic life. I’m a human on a mission to empower you to be well and be kind to your mind, body and soul with the healing power of plants.
Some brands I’ve had the pleasure of working with…
My first e-book, Morning Light, is out now! You'll learn how to make the most of every morning, maximize your body's natural rhythms, improve your health and become more of a morning person. Plus, 15+ balanced breakfast recipes!