A buttery, maple sweetened pecan shortbread cookie. Healthy, vegan, gluten free and delicious.
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup pecan butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup whole raw pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F while you prepare the batter.
- Prepare your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water and allow to sit until thick.
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Next add flax egg, maple syrup, pecan butter, chopped pecan pieces, vanilla extract, and mix until a dough forms.
- Roll dough into balls, about 1.5 tablespoons in size, and space out evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Top with additional whole raw pecans for garnish.
- Using the bottom of a drinking glass (or other flat surface), press down on the cookie dough balls to flatten out a little bit. Create cookie like shapes, because the dough won’t spread too much in the oven.
- Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden brown around the edges. If you prefer a crispier shortbread, feel free to bake for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Let cookies cool and firm up and enjoy!
Keywords: pecan shortbread, sandies, vegan cookies, gluten free vegan, maple pecan