A vegan carbonara pasta recipe, with herbed mushrooms to top! Made vegan, gluten-free, oil free and whole food plant based. Delicious and healthy!
- 200g pasta of choice (I used Teff Macaroni)
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch, or equivalent)
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kala namak black salt*
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- splash of non-dairy milk or veggie broth
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside while you prepare your sauce.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend all remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a saucepan on medium heat, and bring to a slight bubble, allowing the sauce to thicken. Taste and adjust as you see fit.
- Next prepare your herbed mushrooms by pan sautéing the onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant, then adding mushrooms and herbs. Add tablespoons of veggie broth or non-dairy milk as needed to avoid mixture sticking to the pan.
- Toss pasta in sauce to coat, and top with mushrooms. Enjoy!
*Carbonara sauce is typically made with eggs, so to mimic the eggy flavour, I added kala namak, or black salt to the dish. This is optional, but I find it really enhances the overall flavour of the sauce.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Dishes, Pasta
- Cuisine: Pasta
Keywords: gluten free, pasta, vegan pasta, carbonara, vegan carbonara, thanksgiving, gluten free pasta, oil free