A whole food plant based take on the classic caesar dressing, using creamy tahini as the base, topped with crispy chickpeas. Healthy, nutritious and delicious vegan and gluten free salad. Also oil-free!
- handful raw kale, stems removed
- (optional) romaine lettuce, shredded
- 4 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup water (adjust to suit how thick or thin you like your dressing)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2–3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1–2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste (optional! but adds great savoury flavour)
- salt/black pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
optional additions to really caesar it up: top with some vegan parmesan, capers, red onion, or dulse flakes to mimic anchovy
- Preheat oven to 400F and start preparing your chickpeas.
- Toss chickpeas in a bowl along with lemon juice and seasonings to coat. Feel free to play with seasonings of your choice here, and you can use olive oil if you prefer for extra crisp!
- Spread coated chickpeas on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until golden brown, checking in every 15 minuets or so and tossing. If you prefer it crispier, feel free to cook until desired crunch level is reached! You can also use an airfryer and cook at 395F for about 10-12 minutes.
- Wash your kale stalks and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Remove the tough stem at the base by cutting about 2 inches off the bottom of stalks (or as needed) and then continue to make cuts perpendicular to the kale stalk, cutting 1/2 inch strips. If using curly kale, de-stem your kale to remove the tough stalk in the center.
- In a bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk together until smooth, adding additional water if you’d like to thin out, and any additional seasoning to taste.
- Pour dressing on top of the chopped kale and massage for about 2-3 minutes with your hands. This step is really important! It will soften and break down the kale and coat the kale in the dressing evenly.
- Plate your kale and top with chickpeas, extra lemon and black pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: mains
Keywords: kale caesar salad, tahini caesar, vegan caesar, salad, gluten free vegan, oil free vegan