A whole food plant based take on the classic caesar dressing, using creamy tahini as the base, topped with crispy chickpeas. Healthy, nutritious and delicious vegan and gluten free salad.
- 6–7 stems lacinato kale
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 4 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup water (adjust to suit how thick or thin you like your dressing)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- jucie of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated (or use 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste (optional, but adds great savoury flavour)
- salt/black pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
optional additions to really caesar it up: top with some vegan parmesan, capers, red onion, or dulse flakes to mimic anchovy.
- Preheat oven to 400F and start preparing your chickpeas.
- Toss chickpeas in a bowl along with lemon juice and seasonings to coat. Feel free to play with seasonings of your choice here, and you can use olive oil if you prefer for extra crisp!
- Spread coated chickpeas on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until golden brown, checking in every 15 minuets or so and tossing. If you prefer it crispier, feel free to cook until desired crunch level is reached! You can also use an air-fryer and cook at 395F for about 7-9 minutes, or until crisp.
- Wash your kale stalks and romaine and add to a bowl with ice cubes and water to crisp up, then pat dry with a kitchen towel, or use a salad spinner.
- Remove the tough stem at the base of each kale stem, cutting about 2 inches off the bottom of stalks (or as needed) and then continue to make cuts perpendicular to the kale stalk, cutting fine strips. If using curly kale, de-stem your kale to remove the tough stalk in the center and chop. Once kale is chopped, give it a quick massage with your hands to soften.
- Repeat with your romaine, finely slicing into thin ribbons (but no need to massage). Add all your chopped greens to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk together until smooth, adding additional water if you’d like to thin out, and any additional seasoning to taste.
- Pour dressing on top of the chopped greens and massage to coat with your hands.
- Plate your kale and top with chickpeas, croutons and a generous grating of macadamia nut or vegan parmesan, and cracked black pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: mains
Keywords: kale caesar salad, tahini caesar, vegan caesar, salad, gluten free vegan, oil free vegan