Here’s a fun recipe for crème brûlée oatmeal, my most recent breakfast slash dessert slash snack obsession!
I have always been a big lover of crème brûlée, but I think the part that I liked the most was the sugar crust. Since going vegan I’ve had the dessert twice (once… not so great) so I’ve always vowed to try to make my own. I thought I’d use oatmeal as the base instead of the typical creamy base, and the result is this creamy oatmeal base with a crunchy, caramelly sugar topping. It almost reminds me of rice pudding! I’m all for dessert for breakfast and I’d say this is definitely a dish between dessert and breakfast. Regardless, it’s far healthier than your regular crème brûlée, but just as fun to eat and delicious!
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1 cup water
– 1/2 cup Ripple Vanilla Milk (optional)
– 1/4 cup Ripple Vanilla Half & Half or (non-dairy creamer or coconut milk)
– pinch of cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
– 1-2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
– Begin by cooking your rolled oats and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until oats are cooked and water is mostly absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in your Vanilla Ripple Milk, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and the optional maple syrup. You want the texture to be on the thicker side.
– Lastly, stir in the Ripple Vanilla Half & Half. This adds the richness and fat to our base, giving it that decadent dessert feel, and the vanilla half & half has a really beautiful vanilla flavour!
– Transfer your oatmeal mixture to a bowl, then top with 2-3 teaspoons of granulated sugar. Turbinado sugar works really well, and coconut sugar does as well!
– Using a torch, melt the sugar until it browns and begins to caramelize.
– Alternatively, you can place your bowl on a baking sheet and broil in the oven at 500F for about 1 minute, checking in after 30 seconds to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn completely.
– Allow to cool for a minute or two before enjoying.
share this post:
BY Remy • April 12, 2018
leave a comment
read more —>
Hi there, I’m Remy! Welcome to Veggiekins Blog, home to nourishing vegan + gluten-free recipes and tips to live your best balanced and holistic life. I’m a human on a mission to empower you to be well and be kind to your mind, body and soul with the healing power of plants.
Some brands I’ve had the pleasure of working with…
My first e-book, Morning Light, is out now! You'll learn how to make the most of every morning, maximize your body's natural rhythms, improve your health and become more of a morning person. Plus, 15+ balanced breakfast recipes!