The other day I really wanted a pb&j and I also really wanted french toast so I made both and I decided to try to make it refined sugar free and as healthy as possible. Sometimes you crave that really sweet and creamy flavour of a pb&j but there are so many ways to satisfy that craving in a healthier way. I swapped out your regular berry jelly for a chia version of jam, and used natural, homemade nut buter (ingredients ideally should be just nuts!), and of course veganized the egg batter with whole plant ingredients. I don’t know about you but this is like my two favourite things are having a baby and I’m really happy about it!!
4 slices of stale bread (I used a small GF sourdough loaf made by my neighbour)
4 tablespoons of nut butter
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1 cup mixed berries of choice
1 cup nondairy milk
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon of coconut nectar (optional)
toppings of choice
– In a large bowl, add milk, flax seeds, cinnamon and vanilla and let sit for about 5-8 minutes.
– On low heat, add mixed berries with coconut nectar (if using) and chia seeds to a pan and let soften and cook down. Allow to slightly thicken up and mash berries slightly with your spatula.
– Make 2 sandwiches, layering one piece of bread with nut butter of choice and adding your berry mixture to the other side.
– Place the sandwiches into the batter, flipping and spooning over it as well to make sure all sides are soaked.
– Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat and place the sandwich onto the pan and let cook on both sides for about 1-2 minutes until golden brown.19
share this post:
BY Remy • November 17, 2017
leave a comment
read more —>
Hi there, I’m Remy! Welcome to Veggiekins Blog, home to nourishing vegan + gluten-free recipes and tips to live your best balanced and holistic life. I’m a human on a mission to empower you to be well and be kind to your mind, body and soul with the healing power of plants.
Some brands I’ve had the pleasure of working with…
My first e-book, Morning Light, is out now! You'll learn how to make the most of every morning, maximize your body's natural rhythms, improve your health and become more of a morning person. Plus, 15+ balanced breakfast recipes!